Locations of Startup Programs on Windows 7
Where are the configuration locations of startup programs on my Windows 7 computer? I want to see where and how each startup program is configured.
On your Windows 7 system, startup program configurations are located in 4 places:
1. Common Registry Keys - Some startup programs are configured in system registry keys under the path: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. These startup programs are shared by all users on the computer.
2. 64-bit Common Registry Keys - Some startup programs are configured in system registry keys under the path: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. These 64-bit startup programs are shared by all users on the computer.
3. Personal Registry Keys - Some startup programs are configured in system registry keys under the path: HKU\S-1-5-...\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run These startup programs are applied to a single user on the computer.
4. Common "Startup" Folder - Some startup programs are configured in the common "Startup" folder shared by all users on the computer: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup.
5. Personal "Startup" Folder - Some startup programs are configured in the personal "Startup" folder under your login profile: C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup.
So if you want to clean up startup programs to reduce security risk your Windows 7 computer, you need to review all 5 locations: Common registry keys, 64-bit common registry keys, Personal registry keys of each user, Common "Startup" folder, and Personal "Startup" folder of each login user.
2017-02-26, 616👍, 0💬
What are default background services on a Windows 7 Home Premium computer? If you are running a Wind...
Where to find information about what processes are running on Windows 8 and how to manage them? I wa...
Can I disable Windows service "Apache Tomcat" to speedup my computer? Third party service "Apache To...
How to open a Web Archive (.mht or .mhtml) file correctly in Firefox browser? I converted a word doc...
Why am I getting errors when starting Apache server to load PHP as a module with php5apache2.dll? If...