Locations of Startup Programs on Windows 7
Where are the configuration locations of startup programs on my Windows 7 computer? I want to see where and how each startup program is configured.
On your Windows 7 system, startup program configurations are located in 4 places:
1. Common Registry Keys - Some startup programs are configured in system registry keys under the path: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. These startup programs are shared by all users on the computer.
2. 64-bit Common Registry Keys - Some startup programs are configured in system registry keys under the path: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. These 64-bit startup programs are shared by all users on the computer.
3. Personal Registry Keys - Some startup programs are configured in system registry keys under the path: HKU\S-1-5-...\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run These startup programs are applied to a single user on the computer.
4. Common "Startup" Folder - Some startup programs are configured in the common "Startup" folder shared by all users on the computer: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup.
5. Personal "Startup" Folder - Some startup programs are configured in the personal "Startup" folder under your login profile: C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup.
So if you want to clean up startup programs to reduce security risk your Windows 7 computer, you need to review all 5 locations: Common registry keys, 64-bit common registry keys, Personal registry keys of each user, Common "Startup" folder, and Personal "Startup" folder of each login user.
2017-02-26, 308👍, 0💬
Can I remove startup application "Directcd.exe - Roxio DirectCD Application" to speedup my computer ...
Can I disable Windows service "Network DDE" to speedup my computer? Microsoft application service "N...
How to review Internet Explorer (IE) add-on or Browser Helper Object (BHO) tools on Windows XP with ...
How to remove msjava.dll - Java Console Extra Tools Menu Item for Internet Explorer (IE) browsers? m...
What is the startup program "CyberLink MediaLibray Service - CLMLSvc_P2G8.exe" on my Windows 8 compu...