Web Log File: A file produced by a Web server to record activities on the Web server. It usually has the following features:
* The log file is text file. Its records are identical in format.
* Each record in the log file represents a single HTTP request.
* A log file record contains important information about a request: the client side host name or IP address, the date and time of the request, the requested file name, the HTTP response status and size, the referring URL, and the browser information.
* Each Web server has its own log file format, see log file examples below.
* If your Web site is hosted by an ISP (Internet Service Provider), they may not keep the log files for you, because log files can be very huge if the site is very busy. Instead, they only give you statistics reports generated from the logs files.