Locations of Startup Programs on Windows 8
Where are the configuration locations of startup programs on my Windows 8 computer? I want to see where and how each startup program is configured.
On your Windows 8 system, startup program configurations are located in 5 places:
1. Common Registry Keys - Some startup programs are configured in system registry keys under the path: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. These startup programs are shared by all users on the computer.
2. 64-bit Common Registry Keys - Some startup programs are configured in system registry keys under the path: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. These 64-bit startup programs are shared by all users on the computer.
3. Personal Registry Keys - Some startup programs are configured in system registry keys under the path: HKU\S-1-5-...\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. These startup programs are applied to a single user on the computer.
4. Common "Startup" Folder - Some startup programs are configured in the common "Startup" folder shared by all users on the computer: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup.
5. Personal "Startup" Folder - Some startup programs are configured in the personal "Startup" folder under your login profile: C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup.
So if you want to clean up startup programs to reduce security risk your Windows 8 computer, you need to review all 5 locations: Common registry keys, 64-bit common registry keys, Personal registry keys of each user, Common "Startup" folder, and Personal "Startup" folder of each login user.
2017-12-31, 166👍, 0💬
Splitting/Joining MPEG Files with mpgtx "mpgtx" offers a function to split a large MPEG file into sm...
Can I disable Windows service "OracleMTSRecoveryServic e"to speedup my computer? Third party applica...
How to create your PHP configuration file, php.ini? If you have followed our Installing PHP Engine t...
A collection of 14 tutorials on Apache and PHP installation and configuration covering: How to downl...
What is "Windows Biometric Service" in my Windows 7 service list? And how is "Windows Biometric Serv...