Locations of Startup Programs on Windows 8
Where are the configuration locations of startup programs on my Windows 8 computer? I want to see where and how each startup program is configured.
On your Windows 8 system, startup program configurations are located in 5 places:
1. Common Registry Keys - Some startup programs are configured in system registry keys under the path: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. These startup programs are shared by all users on the computer.
2. 64-bit Common Registry Keys - Some startup programs are configured in system registry keys under the path: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. These 64-bit startup programs are shared by all users on the computer.
3. Personal Registry Keys - Some startup programs are configured in system registry keys under the path: HKU\S-1-5-...\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. These startup programs are applied to a single user on the computer.
4. Common "Startup" Folder - Some startup programs are configured in the common "Startup" folder shared by all users on the computer: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup.
5. Personal "Startup" Folder - Some startup programs are configured in the personal "Startup" folder under your login profile: C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup.
So if you want to clean up startup programs to reduce security risk your Windows 8 computer, you need to review all 5 locations: Common registry keys, 64-bit common registry keys, Personal registry keys of each user, Common "Startup" folder, and Personal "Startup" folder of each login user.
2020-10-17, 1266👍, 0💬
How to download Mozilla FireFox 2? If you want to try Mozilla FireFox 2, you can follow this tutoria...
What is naPrdMgr.exe process - Network Associates NAI Product Manager? Process naPrdMgr.exe is the p...
What is Shockware Flash Object - Download Program Files (DPF)? Shockware Flash Object is a Download ...
Where to find tutorials on using Windows Vista computers? I want to learn how to use Windows Vista m...
How to uninstall Yahoo! Install Manager? If you want to remove Yahoo! Install Manager from your syst...