Locations of Startup Programs on Windows 8
Where are the configuration locations of startup programs on my Windows 8 computer? I want to see where and how each startup program is configured.
On your Windows 8 system, startup program configurations are located in 5 places:
1. Common Registry Keys - Some startup programs are configured in system registry keys under the path: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. These startup programs are shared by all users on the computer.
2. 64-bit Common Registry Keys - Some startup programs are configured in system registry keys under the path: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. These 64-bit startup programs are shared by all users on the computer.
3. Personal Registry Keys - Some startup programs are configured in system registry keys under the path: HKU\S-1-5-...\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. These startup programs are applied to a single user on the computer.
4. Common "Startup" Folder - Some startup programs are configured in the common "Startup" folder shared by all users on the computer: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup.
5. Personal "Startup" Folder - Some startup programs are configured in the personal "Startup" folder under your login profile: C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup.
So if you want to clean up startup programs to reduce security risk your Windows 8 computer, you need to review all 5 locations: Common registry keys, 64-bit common registry keys, Personal registry keys of each user, Common "Startup" folder, and Personal "Startup" folder of each login user.
2017-12-31, 200👍, 0💬
What is CLI.exe - Process - ATI CLI Application (Command Line Interface)? Process CLI.exe is the ATI...
How to verify IIS configuration for PHP scripts? If you have followed our Configuring IIS for PHP Sc...
What is smss.exe process - Windows NT Session Manager? Process smss.exe is part of Windows system. I...
How to start Apache server manually on Windows systems? If you followed our Apache server installati...
How to remove jusched.exe from startup program list? jusched.exe is a background process from Sun to...